What Cause Dog Upset StomachWokeepet
Table of Contents
How is dog food digested
First, the dog has a powerful ability to digest food. Its stomach is irregularly pear-shaped, and the content of hydrochloric acid in the gastric juice is as high as 0.4%-0.6%.
Hydrochloric acid can swell the protein and facilitate decomposition and digestion. Therefore, dogs have a solid ability to digest high-protein foods, which is also the nature of carnivores.
Secondly, the dog may empty the food in the stomach within 5-7 hours after eating, much faster than other animals.
Moreover, the dog’s stomach capacity is larger, and the relative digestive tract is relatively short, and the food is in the stomach. Digestion begins, but most of the food is still in the intestines. The intestinal wall of a dog is very thick, and the absorption capacity is also relatively strong.
Factors that cause gastrointestinal discomfort in dogs
- Dogs overeat: The dog could empty the food in the stomach and send it to the intestines 5 to 7 hours after eating. Because of this characteristic, dogs generally want to poop soon after eating; In this case, the dog would feel hungry all the time. Some puppies are even more unaware of hunger and fullness. They will eat even if they vomit. But the owner has to control the amount for the dog. Start when the dog is a child, feed the dog according to the instructions on the food, don’t overfeed it, and don’t give too many treats. Overeating increases the digestion of the dog’s stomach and intestines, which can easily lead to indigestion and gastrointestinal discomfort. If the dog has overeaten since childhood, it is likely to spoil the intestines and stomach, resulting in a broken stomach when it grows up.
- Unbalanced diet for dogs：Dogs overeat greasy food, too many fruits, and vegetables; they will damage their digestion. In addition, long-term consumption of low-quality dog food has led to a decrease in the dog’s resistance, and it is easy to have diarrhea if a bit of food is wrong.
- Food poisoning in dogs: Chocolate, coffee; grapes; onions, garlic; some fish bones, poultry bones or bones of other animals; leftovers of high oil and salt, etc.; these things are harmful to dogs, some are immediate, but some It may happen in future. Because of the greedy nature of dogs, they don’t know that they can not eat these things, so the owner must help them by picking food.
- Ruminate (chew): Dogs can also ruminate because dogs usually gobble up food, and some do not chew at all. Dogs will spit out these indigestible things and eat them back immediately. This kind of vomiting is physiological vomiting, and the dog will be fine. Although it looks disgusting, it is edible for dogs.
- Gastrointestinal blockage: If something suddenly disappears in the house and the dog’s stomach starts to feel uncomfortable, it may be that the dog’s stomach is blocked after swallowing it by mistake. The symptoms of swallowing toys are very similar to other gastrointestinal diseases, and the owner is generally difficult to distinguish unless by X-ray checking. Therefore, the owner should be careful to help the dog choose toys, typically not giving the dog toys that are too small; they may swallow them. Toys damaged by the dog should also be replaced in time to prevent the dog from eating them.
- Parasites: Some internal parasites will live in the dog’s intestines and ingest body nutrients, causing gastrointestinal discomfort. Such as Giardia infection, Dogs eat and drink like normal; that is, they often have diarrhea. The dog’s diarrhea repeats repeatedly, and the owner may think that the dog’s stomach is not good, but it may be infected with Giardia. As long as regular deworming, this situation generally does not exist.
- Gastrointestinal diseases: Any disease of the gastrointestinal tract (including the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, and rectum, as well as organs directly related to the digestion of the liver, pancreas, and gallbladder), the general symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, just take the dog to see a vet.
Gastrointestinal diseases: There are two main types: primary gastroenteritis and secondary gastroenteritis.
Primary gastroenteritis: Mainly due to improper feeding, like uneven hunger and fullness, eating spoiled or indigestible food, and accidentally taking irritating drugs.
Secondary gastroenteritis: Refers to the gastroenteritis caused by certain infectious diseases (such as canine distemper, coronavirus) and parasites (such as hookworm disease, coccidiosis, whipworm disease, small bagworm disease, toxoplasmosis, etc.).
Preventing stomach upset is more straightforward than curing
1. The diet should be regular: regular and quantitative, eat less and frequent meals
It is necessary to training dogs to have good eating habits from childhood.
Eat less and frequent meals so that the food ingested by the dog can be fully digested and absorbed at each meal and not cause an excessive burden on the dog’s intestines and stomach, leading to indigestion and poor nutrient absorption.
2. Eat a healthy diet: choose a dog food with intestinal care formula
Dogs with poor gastrointestinal conditions can choose intestinal care dog food for daily conditioning. Recommended intestinal care fresh meat fermented food. My dog eats this kind of food all year round. It has a good stomach and health, and many kennels also Feed this food. It is a grain-free and hypoallergenic food, which will not cause intestinal allergies in dogs.
3. Food should be hygienic: wash dishes frequently and keep food fresh
Dogs with poor stomach and intestines will vomit, diarrhea, etc., once they encounter few bacteria. Therefore, you should pay attention to the dog’s diet and hygiene every day and change the dog’s fresh drinking water every day. Dog food should be added to each meal to avoid the prolonged placement of bacteria. Food bowls and water bowls should be disinfected with an odorless and non-toxic disinfectant every day to prevent bacterial growth. Don’t give your dog raw or cold food, and feed the canned food or food in the refrigerator after returning to room temperature.
4. Deworming regularly to avoid damage to the intestines and stomach by parasites
Internal parasites can cause significant irritation to the dog’s stomach. For example, hookworms can cause bleeding in the dog’s stomach, so you must remember: Deworm your dog regularly.
Symptoms of gastrointestinal discomfort in dogs
If the dog’s mental condition is not good, the dog’s gastrointestinal problems are likely caused by malaise.
Although dogs spend most of their time sleeping, they will also spend a lot of time playing. If one day you suddenly find that dogs look gloomy, even if we tease them, they will not respond, then This shows that there is a problem with the dog’s body. A high probability is that there is a problem with the stomach.
Abnormal bowel movements
If the dog has abnormal bowel movements, we should send the dog to the vet as soon as possible; The defecation status can directly reflect the health of the dog’s stomach and intestines.
So we can judge whether the dog’s body is healthy or not based on the dog’s feces.
Generally speaking, normal dog defecation will foul smell, but the smell will not be strong. When we find that the smell is particularly strong, we need to pay attention to the symptoms of gastrointestinal discomfort.
If you find that the dog always has diarrhea and the smell is great after some time, there is a gastrointestinal problem. At this time, we should send the dog to the pet hospital for treatment in time. The earlier the treatment, the better it will be.
If the dog does not like to eat, it means that the appetite is not very good. Suddenly eating too little or overeating is abnormal. Some symptoms of stomach discomfort may appear. We must take specific measures to take care of the dog in time.
What to do if the dog has gastrointestinal discomfort
Let Your Dog Rest
First of all, we must ensure that the dog has sufficient rest time and keep the dog warm, especially when the stomach can not catch cold.Recommend to you a trick:
You can soak the towel with hot water, wring it out, and apply it to the dog’s stomach;
Secondly, you can gently massage the dog’s belly to promote food digestion.
Keep taking care of it; if there are no signs of improvement, be sure to go to the pet hospital for diagnosis and treatment as soon as possible
Give your dog electrolytes
You can feed your dog an appropriate amount of saline to supplement electrolytes
Feed Your Dog Bland Food.
Feed rice or millet porridge, plus chicken breast or other lean meats within 2-4 weeks. If there is improvement after a week, you can add a small amount of dog food.
Eat less food one time, at least four meals a day. If you have no conditions to feed four meals, you can use an automatic feeder
Add supplements to your dog’s diet
Dogs with gastrointestinal problems will have lower intelligence, slower growth, and get sick more easily than dogs of the same age and breed. It is best to add an appropriate amount of enzymes and probiotics to help relieve gastrointestinal problems.
Enzymes are actually what we call enzymes. It is a kind of protein that can help all aspects of the body to maintain a balanced state. Enzymes can make the blood in the body a bit alkaline, thereby helping to remove the residual waste in the body, maintaining the balance of bacteria in the intestines, strengthening the cells, enhancing the body’s resistance, etc., so that the internal environment of the body can maintain a balance.
As a pet’s daily gastrointestinal regulation product, MAG enzyme bacteria can be used for a long time. It is rich in ingredients such as probiotics and enzymes to double the pet’s gastrointestinal tract. After eating, dogs can relieve, diarrhea, vomiting, smelly stools, and other problems.
And it helps to improve the digestive function of dogs and promote nutrient absorption. It transforms nutrition into effective energy, purifies the body, and participates in all metabolic processes of the human body. Not only can dogs eat enzyme bacteria, but also if cats have gastrointestinal problems.